Skip to main content

Hello, 2018

A new year is just bigger number. (I don't do New Year resolutions, so whatever.) Been a little busy the last few months, with lots of life changes. It's given me time to get some reading done, which has been nice -- 8 books so far this year. I'm currently working on a few technical books:

  • Security Engineering (Ross Anderson) -- I finally decided to start working through a list of security topics to start building a foundation of security knowledge. This is a book that I must have in my arsenal.
  • The Tangled Web (Michal Zalewski) -- Another must-read for security knowledge. Having an interest in security means learning about the ubiquitous web and the possibilities (read: insecurities) that go along with it.
  • Operating Systems: From 0 to 1 (Do Hoang Tu) -- My seemingly Sisyphean attempt to learn OS. I always have browser tabs open with OS-related courses and books, but I'm so slow getting through the material...
And I'm still trying to get myself through the Intro to Machine Learning class (Ng). I used to tell myself I couldn't progress to the new weeks if I didn't finish assignments, but I think I'm just going to start watching lectures and reading the notes first, with a focus on learning the ML knowledge at a high level. Then I'll work on the assignments in a second pass. So far so good: I've started Week 3 (though to be honest, I skipped the Octave/Matlab section in Week 2). This is further than I've ever gotten in this course.

My goal for the reading and classes is to finish things I've started. I've started so many classes and books but never progressed. I'm working toward finishing the first 2 books in the above list by mid-year, and the OS book by the end of the year. The ML class is 11 weeks long, so I am attempting to finish watching the lectures by June, then giving the assignments a shot after that. If I can finish watching the lectures, though, I think that will be a huge accomplishment in itself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Compiling pgmodeler on Yosemite (with Homebrew)

Refer to  pgmodeler installation . Steps: Clone the pgmodeler git repo. Use Homebrew to install qt5 (5.4.2, see here ), libxml2, and postgresql. Edit the pgmodeler.pri (not .pro) file and change these variables: PGSQL_LIB = /usr/local/opt/postgresql/lib/libpq.dylib PGSQL_INC = /usr/local/opt/postgresql/include XML_INC = /usr/local/opt/libxml2/include/libxml2 XML_LIB = /usr/local/opt/libxml2/lib/libxml2.dylib Follow instructions to compile pgmodeler (you might need to put Qt's binaries in your PATH. I was lazy and didn't). $ /usr/local/opt/qt5/bin/qmake pgmodeler.pro $ make $ make install $ cd /Applications $ /usr/local/opt/qt5/bin/macdeployqt pgmodeler.app -executable=pgmodeler.app/Contents/MacOS/pgmodeler-ch -executable=pgmodeler.app/Contents/MacOS/pgmodeler-cli Then I was able to do $ open pgmodeler.app

pgmodeler build in Debian Jessie

This is my qmake version: $ qmake -v QMake version 3.0 Using Qt version 5.3.2 in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu I had to edit linuxdeploy.sh: 1. Add "-makefile" to the QMAKE_ARGS variable: $ qmake -h Usage: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/bin/qmake [mode] [options] [files] where mode is either "-makefile" (default) or "-project" QMAKE_ARGS="-makefile -r -spec linux-clang" 2. Right before "Running qmake...", I added another line to include pgmodeler.pro in the qmake invocation: QMAKE_ARGS="$QMAKE_ARGS pgmodeler.pro" Then I ran ./linuxdeploy.sh -no-qt-libs (https://github.com/pgmodeler/pgmodeler/issues/674)

Building and installing CAN bus bundle on Kura/Eurotech Software Framework

The documentation is incomplete as of 11/25/2015:  http://esf.eurotech.com/docs/how-to-use-can-bus . It shows you how to setup the can0/can1 interfaces. I think I finally figured out the real steps to getting the CAN bus service working in Kura. I found this website somewhat useful:  https://tobiddev.wordpress.com/2015/03/23/one-bundle-project-modbus-and-eclipse-kura/ . It didn't tell me how to build a bundle, but I took a chance with the following and now I'm able to see my module loading the CanConnectionService in the Kura logs. First, build Kura from source following this guide:  https://wiki.eclipse.org/Kura/Getting_Started . You'll probably want to build it in Linux (I am using Debian Jessie) or possibly OS X (I didn't test it). For sure, it fails in Windows 8 at the create_installer.sh part, so I decided not to waste any more time on it. You basically need Kura built just enough so that you can load everything into Eclipse. I was able to do this using Eclipse