Skip to main content

June 2020 check-in

This post was originally a 2019 retrospective, but I never finished it... oops!

Since last year, I've done a number of interesting projects. One was a data engineering kind of project, where I created a data import using something similar to Apache Beam. I also worked on a number of issues related to performance and Spanner. I think the gist of those problems boiled down to database schema design. It's been awhile though!

Somewhere in the middle of all that, I started working on the Advent of Code 2019, with the intent of learning Rust. I got about 2 exercises in and then the holidays hit, so... that's been sitting and waiting for me to get back. Books I've gotten my nose into: Designing Data-Intensive Applications (in progress), Dune (also in progress), The Phoenix Project (done), and a couple other nonfiction.

Early this year, I took on a new position at a startup that's doing asteroid detection. The astrodynamics is pretty over my head, and I'm amazed at the stuff the rocket scientists (literally) are working on. There's lots to learn, and just recently we launched an alpha API that can do a Monte Carlo simulation on an asteroid propagation. Looking forward to continued work on this... It's along the lines of Apache Beam (again), a bunch of Google Cloud, Vue.js, and spacekit.js.

Probably the most exciting thing so far, though, is that I got a new toy... a shiny workstation! Mainly going to use it for photo editing (and maybe even video editing later), as well as software development. It's been a long time since I built a computer (the last time I did, it had IDE interfaces). Specs are:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
32 GB DDR4 3200
GeForce RTX 2060
500 GB NVMe M.2

I'm also running Win10 Pro with WSL2 (Debian 10), and so far, the experience has been good. It's definitely a Linux kind of experience, so lots of tinkering, Googling for answers, getting stuck, and then finding something that works. :) Not too different from my usual workflow anyway...

As for customization, here are a few things I've started...

xfce4
Nord terminal theme
Prof XFCE theme
powerline for bash and vim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Compiling pgmodeler on Yosemite (with Homebrew)

Refer to  pgmodeler installation . Steps: Clone the pgmodeler git repo. Use Homebrew to install qt5 (5.4.2, see here ), libxml2, and postgresql. Edit the pgmodeler.pri (not .pro) file and change these variables: PGSQL_LIB = /usr/local/opt/postgresql/lib/libpq.dylib PGSQL_INC = /usr/local/opt/postgresql/include XML_INC = /usr/local/opt/libxml2/include/libxml2 XML_LIB = /usr/local/opt/libxml2/lib/libxml2.dylib Follow instructions to compile pgmodeler (you might need to put Qt's binaries in your PATH. I was lazy and didn't). $ /usr/local/opt/qt5/bin/qmake pgmodeler.pro $ make $ make install $ cd /Applications $ /usr/local/opt/qt5/bin/macdeployqt pgmodeler.app -executable=pgmodeler.app/Contents/MacOS/pgmodeler-ch -executable=pgmodeler.app/Contents/MacOS/pgmodeler-cli Then I was able to do $ open pgmodeler.app

pgmodeler build in Debian Jessie

This is my qmake version: $ qmake -v QMake version 3.0 Using Qt version 5.3.2 in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu I had to edit linuxdeploy.sh: 1. Add "-makefile" to the QMAKE_ARGS variable: $ qmake -h Usage: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/bin/qmake [mode] [options] [files] where mode is either "-makefile" (default) or "-project" QMAKE_ARGS="-makefile -r -spec linux-clang" 2. Right before "Running qmake...", I added another line to include pgmodeler.pro in the qmake invocation: QMAKE_ARGS="$QMAKE_ARGS pgmodeler.pro" Then I ran ./linuxdeploy.sh -no-qt-libs (https://github.com/pgmodeler/pgmodeler/issues/674)

Building and installing CAN bus bundle on Kura/Eurotech Software Framework

The documentation is incomplete as of 11/25/2015:  http://esf.eurotech.com/docs/how-to-use-can-bus . It shows you how to setup the can0/can1 interfaces. I think I finally figured out the real steps to getting the CAN bus service working in Kura. I found this website somewhat useful:  https://tobiddev.wordpress.com/2015/03/23/one-bundle-project-modbus-and-eclipse-kura/ . It didn't tell me how to build a bundle, but I took a chance with the following and now I'm able to see my module loading the CanConnectionService in the Kura logs. First, build Kura from source following this guide:  https://wiki.eclipse.org/Kura/Getting_Started . You'll probably want to build it in Linux (I am using Debian Jessie) or possibly OS X (I didn't test it). For sure, it fails in Windows 8 at the create_installer.sh part, so I decided not to waste any more time on it. You basically need Kura built just enough so that you can load everything into Eclipse. I was able to do this using Eclipse